Freelance Web Designer, Web Developer and Web Marketing Consultant
Columbia, Md. Jan. 2006 – Present
- Audit related industry websites and marketing materials to understand potential users.
- Design and redesign HTML, CSS-driven websites.
- Format and optimize photos and web graphics. Create slide shows and photo galleries in Adobe Flash.
- Hand code HTML, XML, PHP and CSS.
- Create and edit web content with search engine optimization (SEO) in mind.
- Register websites with major search engines.
- Maintain web pages for clients.
- Monitor and report findings from AW Stats as requested.
- Create and maintain social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter and RSS Feed).
- Implement CMS Made Simple content management system onto servers.
- Create PHP templates using the new design in CMS Made Simple and dropped in web content.
- Create “How To” training manual and style guide so members can maintain their own web content.
Web Designer/Developer at Quotient Inc.,
Columbia, Md. June 2007 – April 2012
NIH Clinical Center Project (2007-2012):
- Designed websites and web pages for the:
- Designed Clinical Center Radio website for posting podcasts, including XML feeds for five categories. Post podcasts and podcast transcripts weekly.
- Designed html versions of staff and volunteer newsletters.
- Created Adobe Flash slide shows on the public and intranet homepages.
- Coordinated with Communications office team members to change the homepage slide lineups weekly and create new slides as needed - more than 200 slides created.
- Converted Photoshop design files into HTML templates that are accessible and compliant with Section 508.
- Converedt HTML files into Contribution Solutions (templates) in the Serena Collage content management system (CMS).
- Created workflow cycles in the Serena Collage CMS for content owners to post content, submit for content review and Section 508 review and approve for publishing on the web.
- Trained staff to use Serena Collage CMS.
- Moved existing content into new templates.
- Supervised daily web maintenance tasks for all websites, some of which included about 14,000 files.
- Assigned tasks to and assisted team members as needed.
- Worked with Office of Communications, Patient Recruitment and Patient Liaison (OCPRPL) staff on communications project plans to promote departments and initiatives such as the:
- Compiled weekly status report documentation broken down by department or initiative and task type.
- Ensured all web materials are 100% Section 508 compliant (accessible to users with any sort of disability).
- Revised thousands of pages of content to meet the law.
- Developed ongoing usability and accessibility testing processes for all edited web pages.
- Trained to use the HHS Section 508 Accenture program to do issues management of scanned web pages.
- Created archive styles for web material more than 3 years old in accordance with HHS web guidelines.
Smithsonian Institute Project (2008-2009):
- Posted news releases and media advisories on the Newsdesk section of their website (newsdesk.si.edu) using the Interwoven Teamsite (now known as Autonomy Interwoven) Content management system.
- Developed banner graphics and graphic buttons advertising special exhibits, events and museums.
University of Maryland Medical Center Staff Intranet Project (2008):
- Developed fully-functional HTML pages based on their web designer’s Adobe Photoshop files.
- Integrated the html files into Serena Collage CMS. Set up page templates and workflow for tasks.
Director of Communications at American Horse Council,
Washington, DC Oct. 2006 – June 2007
- Created content for and redesigned organization’s web site (www.horsecouncil.org).
- Wrote, edited and designed quarterly and yearly newsletters using Quark and Microsoft Publisher.
- Wrote and distributed press releases as many as 10 press releases each month. Generated reports on press coverage.
- Tracked all press coverage and created and maintained press relations with hundreds of industry contacts.
Web Content Manager at Humane Society International,
Gaithersburg, Md. May 2005 – Jan. 2006
- Editor of web site for the global arm of the Humane Society of the United States (www.hsihsus.org).
- Managed all site pages and action alert emails using GetActive content management software.
- Created advocacy and action alerts that were emailed to thousands of members.
- Wrote and edited advocacy and international animal welfare stories.
Web Site Manager at Maryland Jockey Club, Pimlico & Laurel Racetracks,
Laurel, Md. Dec. 2002 – Nov. 2003
- Managed all aspects of company’s web site (www.marylandracing.com), including design and technical work.
- Developed www.slotsense.com, a lobbying web site developed to promote slot machines at Maryland racetracks.
- Designed and expanded the web site structure and interactive content of www.preakness.com, which had more than 1.5 million hits on the day of the 2003 Preakness.
- Oversaw the server conversion to a new system in the final weeks before the race.
Online Video Producer at washingtonpost.com,
Arlington, Va. June 1999 – Sept. 2002
- Edited four short video packages a day and two long video packages a week using Adobe Premiere for news site reaching 6 million visitors a month.
- Wrote captions and headlines.
- Created the HTML pages where videos lived.
- Created and maintained the news video archive.
- Applied news judgment and collaborated with editors from The Washington Post, MSNBC and media partners to coordinate daily video rotation based on the needs of the editorial team.
Completion Spring 2013
University of Baltimore,
Yale Gordon College of Arts and Sciences, Baltimore, Md.
College Park Scholars Citation
University of Maryland, Philip Merrill College of Journalism, College Park, Md.
Won the United States Dressage Federation’s Best Website Design and Layout for a Group Member Organization (75-120 Members) in 2010 for the Maryland Dressage Associations’ website.
Daily use of Adobe Creative Suite:
Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Acrobat and Dreamweaver.
Ability to hand-code:
User friendly and Section 508 compliant HTML, CSS, PHP and XML.
Multimedia and Social Media:
Podcasts and RSS Feeds, YouTube Videos, Gov Delivery Email Templates, Facebook and Twitter.
Other Skills and Programs:
Daily use of Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Writing web content with Search Engine Optimization (SEO) practices in mind.
Creating and revising documents and webpages for accessibility based on Section 508 guidelines.
Implementation, maintenance and training of users on content management systems such as Serena Collage and CMS Made Simple.
Designing websites for:
- Federal government
- Non-profit organizations
- Small businesses
Designing various graphical elements for the web and print such as:
- Graphic buttons & widgets
- Adobe Flash slide shows
- Photo galleries
- Related branding materials
Developing expert knowledge of web browser standards and cross-browser compatibility.
Creating documentation for content owners such as:
- CMS training guides
- Policies and procedures
- Website style guides
- Horsepen Hill Farm
- Meredith Gelman, LCSW
- Maryland Dressage Association
- Alpha Farrier Services
- NIH Clinical Center
- Patuxent Youth Ballet
- Williamsburg Shopping Center
- Smithsonian Institution
( 2008- 2009)
- UMD Medical Center Intranet
- American Horse Council
- Humane Society International
- Maryland Jockey Club